Search This Blog

Monday, May 17, 2010

A Book Review: You Could Live a Long Time: Are you Ready?

From time to time, someone asks me, Are you going to write a book about retirement?  My answer is always the same.  I say that if I came up with a unique new twist on the issue, I would.  There are a ton of books out there about retirement and most of them say more or less the same thing.  Someone recently, however, passed on a new book about retirement to me (thanks Judith) and I have to say that finally someone has found a new twist on the issue and I like it.

The author, Lindsay Green, tackles the tough issue of what the later stage of retirement is going to be like.  There is no sugar coating here.  She has two important messages for us.  The first is that we are not going to continue to look good, feel good and be able to avoid at least some of the challenges that age brings.  These challenges include declining health, loss of close family and friends, and an increasing dependence on the help of others.

The second message is that there is hope.  She provides many insights and suggestions, based on her interviews with a number of people who have successfully adapted to later life.  Her message is ultimately a hopeful one.  Her book might very well inspire you to get going on that retirement plan, based on a realistic assessment of what your life in the second stage of retirement is going to look like.  I highly recommend this book.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the suggestion Nancy. I've ordered the book from Amazon.ca and I'm enjoying it immensely. Picking up on one comment in the book, "live to an old age on all cylinders and then just fizzle out, preferably in your sleep" reminded me of Julia Child who did just that at age 92. Were we to be so fortunate!

    She comes to mind very often, especially when I struggle, quite unsuccessfully I might add, with Weight Watchers.
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this book because it is a fairly unique take on planning for later life. Although it's message is pretty tough, I liked its honesty.

    ReplyDelete