Search This Blog

Friday, May 14, 2010

Back Problems

Last summer/fall I had sciatica; it lasted for about four months.  Thanks to my physiotherapist, it was quite a bit better by Christmas.  I described what it was like in my post called Helplessness.  It was a terrible experience.  Since we returned from our trip to Malawi, my back has been relatively good.  I began working with a trainer upon my return and all was going well until we pushed the exercises a little too far and I had to stop doing them.  My back was acting up.  Now that I have a puppy, I think that all the playing and picking puppy up and bending down to pet him has aggravated my back as well.

It is hard to accept that as we age, even with the best of intentions regarding our health, it is quite a challenge to keep really fit.  Great care must be exercised in carrying out a fitness regime.  Too little and it isn't that helpful; too much and we may injure ourselves.  And then those activities we really want to take on in retirement, like finally getting the dog we always wanted, may bring with it physical challenges that may affect our health negatively as well.

This does not mean that we shouldn't work out or shouldn't get involved in exciting new activities, like getting a puppy, but it does mean that we have to take care to ensure that we take into account our age and our  health in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment