Search This Blog

Monday, April 12, 2010

Morning Ritual

My mornings almost always begin with a good strong cup of coffee.  We get two newspapers, the Globe for my husband to read, and the local paper for me.  I enjoy sitting at the island in my beautiful kitchen, with this cup of coffee and my paper, reading it slowly all the way through.  Once I'm done and have eaten some breakfast, I normally get washed and dressed and then head into my home office, where I work on my business agenda until lunch time.  Then, the rest of the day is mine to do with as I please.  Oh the joys of semi-retirement!

I've noticed that when my schedule for the day precludes this highly civilized beginning to my day, it really annoys me.  I don't want to feel rushed, and I certainly don't want to have to leave the paper half read.  Usually this happens because I have a work commitment that requires me to cut short the ritual.  It surprises me how much I resent this.  I puzzle over why this morning ritual is so pleasurable.  From talking with others, I understand that this ritual is shared by many.  Why does it have such power to please?  And why do I resent it being cut short?  I'm still working on the answer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment