Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Losing Your Edge

I am semi-retired, as I've noted before.  This means I spend half the day (usually the morning) in work mode and the rest of the day, including the evening, in retirement mode.  What I've started to notice is that it is becoming harder to gear up for work.  And my ability to work for 3 or 4 hours at a stretch is being sorely tested.  If you are thinking of working in retirement, be aware that this phenomenon may affect you as well.  I find it intriguing because I very much enjoy working on all of my retirement related work.  It is not a chore to me.  Once I am in my office, I am able to get right to it.  Once I'm deeply into the work of the day, I find the time flies by.

For a few years I rented an office outside my home and I must say that once I was there, I could work all day with little break and with a good deal of focus.  Working out of a home office does offer greater distractions.  At the moment the fresh spring air is wafting in my open office window, the sun is shining, and my garden beckons.  This does make it a little more difficult to buckle down and just get the work done.

Don't get my wrong.  I love being semi-retired and I believe that it is a viable option for anyone who is not ready to give up work.  Just wanted those of you who plan to work part time at home in retirement to be aware that the more you retire, the more you may lose your edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment