Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Spring is here; the garden awaits

We are having an early spring; almost all the snow in our yard is gone and the tulips are coming up.  Because we are cooped up somewhat during the winter months, I find that I am dying to get outside once spring arrives.  Luckily for us, it's happening earlier than usual.  I was out yesterday cleaning up the walkways and also the garden.  I attended a garden seminar last year and the expert had an interesting take on gardening.  He suggested that you just leave all that plant material and leaves on the ground in the fall, don't clean it up in the spring, and it will become mulch for the garden. Everything will basically grow up through it, and eventually it will decompose and improve the soil.  Seemed to make alot of sense to me.  He was also big on adding more mulch to the garden on top of last year's stuff.

This is where I link the topic to retirement.  I have gardened for a long time and every spring I can't wait to clean up my garden.  It is very satisfying work.  It's good physical activity; it's great to see what is coming up under last year's leaves and plant material, and once the garden has been cleaned up, it looks great.  Old habits are hard to kick though.  If you are a gardener who has gardened a long time, you too have your rituals.  I promised myself that I wouldn't clean up this spring but yesterday I couldn't seem to stop myself from raking just a little way into the beds.  I also felt I should at least chop down some of the taller perennials, like the phlox, that look pretty awful this time of the year.  Once you retire, you claim back your time and many of you will probably devote a good chunk of that time to your garden.  If you are retiring in the spring, it will be very tempting to get out there and clean up.  Larry Hodgson, the expert I mentionned above, would suggest that rather than doing that, you should dust off a lawn chair, put it out in the back yard, grab a tea or coffee, and just sit and watch your garden grow.  The question is, can you do that?

No comments:

Post a Comment