Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Snow versus Sun

I just spoke today with a friend who is spending the winter in Florida. She is someone who had a very high-powered career, raised three children, and is now taking a break from her very hectic and demanding life to relax, play tennis, and enjoy the milder climate Florida offers. I'm sittiing here in my home office looking out at the snow and thinking about what it would be like to spend more time in a warmer place. I know that many Canadian retirees choose to leave the cold and ice and snow behind to spend several months in warmer climes. My husband and I talk about this from time to time but don't seem to have the same drive to leave behind winter in Canada.

For some reason, as I've aged, I actually find that the winter seems shorter and shorter. Of course, this year, we spent a month away in a warmer place, and the winter here is mild, at least so far. The other day my husband asked me if I had started thinking about the cottage and when we would open it up. I have to say that I haven't, not yet at least. But back to warmer climes. I must admit that at times it does seem awfully appealing to imagine getting up in the morning and going for a walk on the beach, arranging to meet friends for a leisurely lunch, playing golf or tennis in the afternoon and then sitting on the deck, with a G & T before lighting up the BBQ in preparation for dinner alfresco. Just thinking about it makes we want to be there in Florida with my friend.

I'd love to know more about how people deal with some of the issues involved in being away all winter. How do people keep in touch with friends, how do they make new friends while in the south, how do they manage to finance two homes, and in the end do they love living this life in two places. Guess I'm just going to have to do a survey of those I know who are choosing this lifestyle and report back.

No comments:

Post a Comment