Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Collecting and Decluttering - All at the Same Time

It's a good thing that I'm semi-retired. I need those free afternoons to go to auctions, estate sales and antique shows/shops searching for treasures that are waiting to be rescued by me. From what, I can't really say. I seldom come home empty-handed as I have a wide range of used/old/antique things I like. It could be antique china, or 50s pottery or, just last week, a set of what I think are pale green bakelite handled dessert knives and spoons. I thought the metal part of the cutlery was just silver that had become tarnished. Turns out the metal is gold in colour and I'm not sure what it is. Anyway, at $15 for 8 of each, I thought I was getting a bargain.

The flip side of this searching for treasures is the deep desire to declutter my house. From what I've read about aging and retirement, it does seem to hit people as they age, this need to clear out all the stuff that has accumulated over the years. I have to say that my husband does think I'm nuts since the two activities seem awfully contradictory! The nice thing about being semi-retired is that I find I actually have time for both activities. I take a box of stuff about once a month to a consignment shop and every now and then they give me a cheque which I then use to go and buy more stuff. Better stuff of course.

The activities people choose to pursue in retirement should be activities that give them pleasure. I know that when I jump out of bed early on a rainy Saturday, with ten or twelve garage sales to visit, I'm excited to get on the road. The anticipation is almost too much to bear; and when I get home with my "treasures", I love the show and tell. Recently, I actually invited 2 friends over to share in a rather large box lot of linens I'd bought for $10 at an estate sale; we had such a good time. So....whatever your passion, pursue it. And if some people think it doesn't make any sense, that's their problem!

No comments:

Post a Comment