Search This Blog

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Volunteering - Not as Easy as You Think

Many retirees want to "give back" and see the volunteer sector as a good place to do that.  For many, the perception may be that if they just show up, the organization of their choice will jump at the chance to have them as a volunteer.  However, the reality of modern day volunteering may present them with quite a shock.  Why so? 

First of all, they may discover that, instead of welcoming them with open arms, there is a selection process in place that involves an application, reference checks, and an interview.  That almost sounds like the workplace they have just left!  In some instances, this process may lead to rejection as a candidate.  I know because that happened to me.  I went through the process for an organization that I thought was a perfect fit for me.  They didn't agree.  I got screened in at the application stage, went to the interview, and then received a rejection letter.  I was devasted because I had never for a moment thought that I wouldn't be given one of the 20 slots (out of 50 people being interviewed).  To make matters worse, I then found myself wondering what it was they didn't like about me. 

Secondly, let's suppose that the person does get through the recruitment process and is assigned a role.  Many organizations do ask for a time commitment, say six months or a year.  I volunteered at our local hospital and, based on a discussion with the Volunteer Coordinator, was given an assignment (one afternoon per week) on the Continuing Care ward.   As a home-based business person, I wanted more social contact and told the Volunteer Coordinator this.  My assignment sounded promising except that the other volunteers that were supposed to work with me, either didn't show up or quit.  I ended up working alone.  Also, for some reason I still don't understand, the hospital staff, including the nurses, were quite unfriendly.  None of them even remembered my name, even though I was on their ward an afternoon a week for a year.  I did enjoy helping patients with lunch and socializing with them but in the end I did my one year stint and then decided that it wasn't for me.  Of course, one of the nice things about being a volunteer is that you can quit if you decide it just isn't working.

So...some advice.  Think carefully about what kind of volunteering you want to do, identify what your expectations are, check out the relevant organizations carefully, and realize, that if they do have a selection process in place, you just might be screened out.  In the end, one of the luxuries retirees have is time and if this time can be dedicated to the volunteer sector, it can be a win win situation so go for it with your eyes wide open.

No comments:

Post a Comment